Thursday, November 29, 2007

Books to Read

John Zdanowicz's Book Recommendations:

Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand
My first exposure to the relationship between individualism and capitalism came from reading Atlas Shrugged as a college student. It also stimulated me to expand my reading and studies of classical liberalism and stressed the importance of individual self esteem, productivity, and freedom. Rand and her writings were the catalyst for my future studies of libertarianism.

Capitalism And Freedom by Milton Friedman
Friedman provides an explanation of the role of capitalism and the importance of private property and a free market. He explains the relationship between economic freedom and personal freedom and illuminated the contradictions of both the liberal and conservative philosophies. His writings convinced me that I was a libertarian and that personal and economic freedoms were two sides of the same coin.

On Liberty
by John Stuart Mill
"Over himself, over his own body and mind, the individual is sovereign." Need I say more?

The Road To Serfdom by F.A. Hayek
In 1944, Hayek warned of the dangers of collectivism, social planning, and the expanded role of government. His views were considered shocking in the collectivist orthodoxy of that time period. Hayek's warning of the destruction of personal and economic freedoms are a prophecy, that unfortunately, are commonplace throughout the world today.

Defending the Undefendable by Walter Block
I first met Walter Block when we were professors at Baruch College in New York. His logical economic analysis of social issues is both shocking and correct. Block defends "capitalistic acts between consenting adults." When I need to laugh and get my fix of economic logic, I read this book.

No comments: