Friday, March 14, 2008

Another one of Rodrik's secrets

Rodrik writes;

Am I the only economist who does not read The Economist? Well maybe the first one to confess to it.

No, it is not because I am too busy and don't have the time. It is a deliberate decision. Call it a one-man boycott of ideology that masquerades too often as journalism.

It wasn't always like that. In fact, I used to love the magazine and its opinionated style. It was such a refreshing read after American media! I loved it so much that I preferred buying it at the news stand at a higher price to subscribing, because I could get my hands on it faster that way. When I spent a year out on the West Coast, my most important complaint was that The Economist arrived later there (on Mondays instead of Saturdays).

But then I realized that the more I knew about a subject, the less The Economist was making sense. Its one thing to be opinionated, another to be misinformed and arrogant at the same time. After one too many articles in this mold, I simply stopped picking up the magazine. I had a conversation recently with the new economics editor of the magazine (a KSG alum), who said I should take another look, but aside from an occasional thumbing through on a plane ride, I haven't done so.

No comments: