Sunday, November 4, 2007

Photo of the Day

Stolen from Tyler Cowen.


President Bush Previews War on Terror Speech

Q What is your own view about waterboarding?

THE PRESIDENT: I'm not going to talk about techniques. There is an enemy out there. I don't want them to understand -- to be able to adjust one way or the other. My view is this: The American people have got to understand the program is important and the techniques used are within the law, and members of the House and Senate know what I'm talking about, they have been fully briefed.

Q Do you think the Congress has forgotten we're at war, Mr. President?

THE PRESIDENT: Well, I think there is a tendency for people to say, well, maybe -- let me just say, there are some who say, don't call this a war on terror. And there are some who have accused me of using the words "war on terror" as a way to frighten people into voting booths. And I emphasize the word "some." As I'll say in this speech, those who say we're not in a war on terror are either disingenuous or naive. Either way, the attitude is dangerous because I will have quoted the words of the enemy in the speech, an enemy that said, we're going to come and kill you.

And I think -- I'm not going to -- this speech doesn't intend -- this is a comprehensive speech about what Congress needs to do to make sure that we have the tools necessary and the people necessary to protect America. I will not in any way personalize this speech. I'm not going to say that an individual member that may disagree with me is not a patriotic person. I am going to remind people, though, of the dangers that we face.

And I knew full well that if we were successful protecting the country that the lessons of September the 11th would become dimmer and dimmer in some people's minds. Well, I just don't have that luxury, and nor do the people that work with me to protect America, because we have not forgotten the lessons of September the 11th. And I expect, and the American people expect Congress to give us the tools necessary to protect them.


Barney, the President's Scottish Terrier,has its own web page

No comments: