Saturday, November 10, 2007

Quote of the Day- Myth of the Irrational Voter


“But I did vote a couple of times. I voted for a guy named George McGovern, who promised he’d find a way to stop the war. I voted for Jimmy Carter. Because the words he spoke seemed to come from the same philosophical point of view as my own. He believed, as I did, that war was a last resort and not a first.

I voted for George W. Bush in 2000, because I thought it would be nice to have an average Joe kind of person in the White House instead of a smart, well-educated one. Someone who could only speak in very small words. Okay, I’m joking. The fact is I voted for Ralph Nader. But since all pundits said that a vote for Nader was a vote for Bush, I now tell people I voted for Bush just to watch their jaws drop.

Seriously, though, I still think about this whole era with a lot of pain. Being brought up by my dad, who’d taught me that we had the best government in the world and that our government was the best one there ever could be even with its flaws, well, that kind of fell apart. He told me the purpose of government was to take care of its people and make things better for them.”

-Steve Wozniak, iWoz: From Computer Geek to Cult Icon: How I Invented the Personal Computer, Co-Founded Apple, and Had Fun Doing It , p. 77

Related;
Why is IWoz not on iTunes, asks Colbert.

No comments: