1. His father died of malaria before he was born;
2. His election was marred by fraud and intimidation on both sides;
3. The final count was disputed in four regions, three of which were under military occupation at the time (and whose supreme commander was the new President's supporter);
4. The inauguration ceremony was held in secret because of fears of an insurrection by the opposition;
5. During his reign, his troops killed dozens while quelling a protest; and
6. Two of his four children died before reaching their second birthday, one of tropical disease.
Answer: The 19th President of the United States, Rutherford B. Hayes (1877-81).
- George Washington had slave's teeth implanted (which he bought) when he became President
Via Joseph J. Ellis (see talk below)