Thursday, January 10, 2008

Blogs can kill your job prospects, still...

David Zetland learned it the hardway;

I have been disappointed at the number of interviews I received relative to the number of applications (3/60), and one reason -- given UCD's rank of 4 in resource and environmental economics -- may be this "controversial" aspect of my persona. (It's also possible that I suck.) I got a direct confirmation of my self-imposed handicap this weekend at the ASSA meetings: An acquaintance told me that this blog killed my application.

This confirmation is bad news and good news: On the one hand, I did not get an interview from this institution; on the other, I would not be interested in working at a place that expected professors to stay so far from "controversial" topics.

Thank you Zetland- keep on blogging.

No comments: